Umbrella companies play a vital role in the modern contractor supply chain, and are a positive choice for many workers, giving flexibility without the hassle and no long term financial commitments.
Employment with a legitimate umbrella company provides all of the statutory benefits of permanent employment while enabling workers to go from job to job and have their affairs managed centrally.
Why go Umbrella?
- Easy and quick to set up – registering with an Umbrella company is quick and easy and can usually be done online or over the phone. You will just need to sign a contract and submit a few documents to prove your identity.
- Minimum admin – To get paid you simply need to submit your timesheet and expenses.
- Centralised PAYE administration – You don’t need to worry about calculating income tax and national insurance contributions, all this is done for you by the Umbrella company.
- Statutory employment benefits – Umbrella companies are your employer and will offer you statutory employment benefits. These include at least 28 days holiday, national minimum wage, antenatal, maternity and paternity pay.
- Insurance cover and perks – Since many Umbrella companies look after large numbers of employees, you can also benefit from comprehensive insurance cover and other perks and discounts which add value to the service.
- Low risk, low cost – Working through an Umbrella company is ideal if you wish to trial flexible working before making a longer-term commitment, or if you are only going to be working as a contractor for a short period.